Saturday, July 21, 2007

Shelter Code

The Housing Committee chair Councilor Arnolfo Ricardo Cabling has re-filed the Shelter Code and is now docketed as Item No. 146 in our agenda for the July 24 session.

Mayor Rodrigo Duterte vetoed the ordinance which was approved during the closing weeks of the previous City Council. Cabling said the questionable provisions in the veto were mere technicalities and did not substantially question the key features of the Code.

In last Tuesday's session, a long debate ensued over the veto of the mayor. Cabling presented it either for acceptance or rejection by the legislative body. The City Council eventually voted for its "deferment." Meaning it would be taken up at a later date.

I was the lone dissenter. I voted against deferment. I believe the City Council could have acted immediately to accept the veto and then re-file the same measure with all the needed corrections.

Now, Cabling has re-filed the Code in its original form. But what about the veto?

2 comments:

Dom Cimafranca said...

Hi, Councillor Pete: is there any place where we can find the full text of the proposed ordinances?

Gelo said...

It's only available in hard copy. I have been encouraging my colleagues to have their blogs. Very few has tried.
I attempted to have a site in my wikislation project e-sangguni to post proposed resolutions and ordinances.